Monday, January 30, 2012

Chapter 1: God Believes in Us


God needs me? What a startling revelation! I had never really considered that God was counting on me to be an agent of His transformation of the world. Yes, I had known since Sunday School days that God wanted me to be “in His army” and that, as a Christian, God wanted me to share the Good News, but that He actually needed me, that He couldn’t do it without me, now THAT gave me pause.

Bishop Tutu offers a lovely image of us seated in the palms of God’s hands, having life because “God is forever blowing God’s breath into our being.” As I continued to read and continued mulling over that God needed me in order to realize the power of transfiguration in our world, I kept coming back to this image of being alive with God’s breath, of being given life so that I could go out and do God’s work.

Not one of us is unworthy of being a tool for God’s good, none among us are beyond God’s reach or the reach of His breath, and we all are needed by God to transform this world according to His plan. The perspective that I was created so that I could be a change agent for God gives me new hope that I can accomplish those things to which I am led and that I will continue to have the strength to do the work that I am sent out to do. Even in those time when I pray, “Why me?” I know that I will be given what I need to jump in and carry out the marching orders.

Cynthia Sosnowski

No comments:

Post a Comment